Appealing My Assessment
We have compiled some simple instructions to follow if you disagree with or do not understand your property assessment.
Filing a Complaint
Please contact the Town of High Level to be directed to the Town’s Assessor before the date indicated on your Property Assessment Notice. Assessment personnel will review the assessment with you. If their explanation does not assure you that your assessment is fair, you may submit a complaint to the Assessment Review Board.
If you choose to file a complaint, it is important to note that you must:
- Include a complaint fee of
- $50 for residential property containing three or fewer dwellings
- $100 for non-residential property
- File the complaint on or before the date indicated on the front of the assessment notice.
- Complete and file the Assessment Review Board Complaint form with the
- clerk of the Assessment Review Board.
- If you will be represented by an agent during the complaint process you must also complete and file the Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization form with the clerk of the Assessment Review Board.
The Assessment Review Board Complaint form and the Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization form may both be found at Town Hall and are available upon request or online:
The Clerk of the Assessment Review Board will advise you of the date and time of the hearing with the Assessment Review Board.
All taxes owing should be paid prior to the due date to avoid penalties, as the hearing will occur after the due date. If the Assessment Review Board makes a decision on the complaint that results in a lower tax bill, a refund cheque will be issued to the taxpayer on record.
Where to File a Complaint
A complaint must be filed on the mandatory form with the Assessment Review Board Clerk on or before the deadline indicated on your Property Assessment Notice. It must be accompanied by a filing fee to be valid. If the complaint is successful, the filing fee will be returned.
Town of High Level Assessment Review Board
c/o Assessment Review Board Clerk
10511 - 103 Street
High Level, AB T0H 1Z0