2017 Municipal Election
Nomination Day is Monday, September 18, 2017.
The next general Municipal Election is Monday, October 16, 2017.
Registration of Candidates
Individuals who intend to receive donations for their campaign must file an Application for registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office with the Returning Officer prior to accepting donations. Individuals intending to self-fund their campaign are not required to file a notice of intent, in accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act, Section 147.21.
Nomination Eligibility - You are eligible for nomination if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You are eligible to vote in this election
- You are a resident of High Level for six consecutive months immediately preceding
- You are not otherwise ineligible or disqualified
- See Section 22 of the Local Authorities Election Act for Ineligibility of Candidates.
Official Candidate Nominations
Nomination papers for the 2017 Municipal Election have been received from the following individuals:
•MCATEER, Crystal - Mayor-Elect by acclamation
•CHANDLER, Scott (Incumbent)
•FOREST, Ellis (Incumbent)
•LANGFORD, Boyd (Incumbent)
•MORGAN, Michael (Incumbent)
The list of candidates running for Council in the 2017 Town of High Level Municipal Election is unofficial until 12:00 pm on Tuesday, September 19, 2017.
Withdraw of Nomination
s32 ‘….any person so nominated may, at any time within 24 hours after the close of the nomination period (12:00 noon, September 18/2017) withdraw as a candidate for the office for which the candidate was nominated by filing with the returning officer a withdrawal in writing.’ Local Authorities Election Act, RSA 200, c L-21
Voter Eligibility - You are eligible to vote if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You are 18 years of age or over
- You are a Canadian citizen
- You have lived in Alberta for the six consecutive months immediately preceding Election Day (since April 16, 2017)
- You are a resident of High Level
- You have acceptable voter identification
- You have not voted in this election before
- You sign a declaration that you meet these qualifications
Voter Identification Requirements
In order to vote, you must produce identification for inspection. The identification must be one of the following as required by Section 53 of the Local Authorities Election Act.
- One piece of photo identification issued by a Canadian government which includes the elector's name and current address
- Operator/Driver's License; Government Photo Identification Card (for non-driver's); or
- One piece of identification authorized by the Chief Electoral Officer under the Election Act that establishes the elector's name and current address.
- Attestation of Identity and Residence issued by the authorized representative of a correctional institution;
- Attestation of Identity and Residence issued by the authorized representative of a shelter or soup kitchen;
- Attestation of Residence issued by the authorized representative (landlord) of a commercial property management company;
- Attestation of Residence issued by the responsible authority of a Supportive Living Facility;
- Bank/Credit Card statement or personal cheque;
- Correspondence issued by a school, college or university;
- Government cheque or cheque stub;
- Income/property tax assessment notice;
- Insurance policy or coverage card;
- Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee;
- One of the following, issued by the responsible authority of a shelter or soup kitchen: Attestation of residence, letter of stay, admission form or statement of benefits;
- Pension Plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation;
- Residential lease or mortgage statement;
- Statement of government benefits, e.g. employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit;
- Utility bill, e.g. telephone, public utilities commission, television, hydro, gas or water; and
- Vehicle ownership or insurance certificate.
If you require more information on the upcoming election, please contact Sandra Beaton, Returning Officer, at (780) 821-4008 or by email: email@example.com
Note: The above is condensed information provided as assistance to the public only. For exact wording of the legislation, please refer to the Local Authorities Election Act.