2021 Municipal Election
October 18, 2021 is the next Municipal General Election. Municipal Elections are held every four years at which time residents elect one (1) Mayor and six (6) Councillors to a four year term. In High Level, Council members are elected at-large, which means the Mayor and Councillors represent the entire population rather than a geographical ward.
The Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) governs the nomination, voting, and election process. To view a copy of the Act, click here.
- Nominations for the general election will be open between January 1, 2021 and September 20, 2021. Nomination Day closes at 12:00 p.m. on Monday, September 20, 2021. This date and time cannot be extended.
- Municipal Election Day is on Monday, October 18, 2021.
If you are interested in running for council, copies of the Candidate Nomination forms are available by contacting the Town Returning Officer at 780-926-2001 or can be downloaded from the Alberta Government Municipal Election Website.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms? Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form: Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer. Launch Adobe Reader. Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
- Form 4 – Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance
- Form 5 – Candidate Financial Information
- Form 11 – Enumerator, Candidate or Official Agent Proof of Identification
- Form 16 – Statement of Scrutineer or Official Agent
- Form 26 – Campaign Disclosure Statement and Financial Statement (under development)
Qualifications of candidates – Section 21 of the LAEA
A person may be nominated as a candidate in any election under this Act, if on nomination day the person:
- Is eligible to vote in that election,
- Has been a resident of the local jurisdiction for 6 consecutive months immediately preceding Nomination Day, and
- Is not otherwise ineligible or disqualified under the Act.
Filing of Nomination Papers
In order for your nomination papers to be accepted, all candidates must have the signatures of a minimum of five (5) eligible electors. These electors must be a resident of the local jurisdiction on the date they sign the form and eligible to vote in the election.
Nomination papers must be completed in full and have sworn the Candidate’s Acceptance section (Form 4) before a Commissioner for Oaths. If you require the services of a Commissioner for Oaths, you are required to make an appointment by calling: 780-926-2001.
A nomination deposit of $100 must accompany the Nomination Form in the form of debit or credit card, money order, certified cheque, or cash. The deposit may be returned in accordance with Section 30 of the Local Authorities Election Act.
It is the candidate's responsibility to ensure that the Nomination Form is filed in accordance with the Act.
To drop off your Nomination Paper, please call the Returning Officer at 780-926-2201.
For further information on the 2021 Municipal Election, please contact:
Sandra Beaton, Returning Officer
Linda Gervais, Substitute Returning Officer
Town of High Level
- A Candidate’s Guide: Running for Municipal Office in Alberta
- Roles and responsibilities of municipal officials
- Pecuniary interest for Municipal Councillors
- Municipal Affairs Election website
Check back for more information!