AAIP - Rural Renewal Stream
Welcome to the Town of High Level Rural Renewal Stream Portal
On December 14, 2023, the Town of High Level received Designated Community Status under the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program – Rural Renewal Stream!
The Rural Renewal Stream offers eligible workers the opportunity to immigrate to Alberta as a Provincial Nominee with the formal support of the local municipal government.
The Town of High Level’s designation period is in effect until December 14, 2026. There is an option to extend the Town’s Designated Community Status for an additional two years if both parties are in agreement to do so. The Government of Alberta reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate the Town’s designation upon 60-days written notice.
Please note: this designation is limited to eligible employers and businesses within the Town of High Level only.
Employers include organizations or companies seeking candidates to fill labour gaps through the AAIP Rural Renewal Stream.
If you are an Employer located within the municipal limits of High Level and are interested in participating in the Rural Renewal Stream to fill vacant positions and to support Candidates in obtaining their Permanent Residency, please visit the Employer Information page, complete and submit an Employer Application Form.
Candidates include individuals seeking employment and Permanent Residency in Canada through the AAIP Rural Renewal Stream. Otherwise described as an employee, job seeker, newcomer, or immigrant.
If you are a non-Canadian resident who is interested in obtaining Permanent Residency by living and working within High Level, please visit the Candidate Information page.
Employer Applications will be processed in the order they are received. The Town shall endeavour to process complete Employer Applications within 10 working days of receipt.
For information regarding how the Rural Renewal Stream works, please see below for the steps involved to successfully hire Endorsed Candidates in High Level.
Step 1: Employer Submits Application to join High Level’s Rural Renewal Stream Program
Employers located within High Level with job vacancies can submit an application to the Town of High Level Economic Development Officer to join High Level’s Rural Renewal Program.
Step 2: Review of Employer Application
The Town of High Level will review all Employer Applications and may conduct an interview with the Employer to determine eligibility and participation in the program. Employers will be specifically requested to provide details on how they will support Endorsed Candidates integration into the community of High Level.
Employers that are not willing to take an active role in supporting Endorsed Candidates’ integration into the community of High Level will not be accepted into High Level’s RRS Program.
Step 3: Job Vacancy Posted
The Town of High Level will post approved job advertisements received from Employers who are approved to participate in High Level’s RRS Program on High Level’s Job Board for at least two consecutive weeks.
Step 4: Candidates Apply for Vacant Positions
Prospective Candidates review the available Rural Renewal Stream job advertisements on High Level’s Job Board and apply directly to the Employer for any positions they qualify for.
Step 5: Employer Issues Job Offer
Once the recruitment process has concluded, the Employer issues an official job offer to the successful Candidate for full-time permanent employment.
Step 6: The Employer Applies for the Candidate Endorsement Letter
The Employer shall submit an Endorsement Letter Application Form for a Candidate Endorsement Letter on behalf of the Candidate.
Step 7: Candidate Endorsement Letter Issued
The Town of High Level issues the Endorsement Letter directly to the Candidate and removes the job posting from the Town’s online Job Board.
Step 8: Candidates Applies for Provincial Nomination
The Endorsed Candidate applies for Provincial Nomination through the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program – Rural Renewal Stream Portal.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I want to immigrate to High Level. How do I obtain an Endorsement Letter?
- The Town of High Level cannot provide Endorsement Letters directly to prospective Candidates. Only Candidates who have received a job offer for full-time permanent employment from an Employer enrolled in High Level’s RRS Program will be issued with an Endorsement Letter.
- I want to apply for a position, where can I confirm whether my work experience, education, language, and settlement funds make me eligible under the Rural Renewal Stream for Permanent Residency?
- The Government of Alberta lists all eligibility requirements. The Town of High Level cannot answer questions on the eligibility of prospective Candidates.
- Is the program open to Candidates who are already living in Canada?
- The Alberta Advantage Immigration Program – Rural Renewal Stream program is open to prospective employees who are outside Canada, as well as those who already reside within Canada. Prospective Candidates within Canada must reside here with a valid temporary status. For example, a valid Open Work Permit, Named Work Permit, or Tourist Visa.
- Once I receive my Endorsement Letter, how soon do I to apply to the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program?
- Once the Endorsement Letter is issued. The Endorsed Candidate is expected to enter their information into the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program – Rural Renewal Stream Portal as soon as possible. This is part of their commitment to the Employer and the Town of High Level. Once the Endorsed Candidate’s information is entered into the portal, the nomination for Permanent Residency begins immediately.
- As a local Employer with labour shortage needs, how do I know whether the Rural Renewal Stream program is the best option for me?
- The Rural Renewal Stream program is a good option for Employers in High Level who are having difficulties finding Candidates who are qualified to fill a given position or who are willing to perform the work required where existing Federal Temporary Foreign Worker programs are not a good fit for their business needs. The Rural Renewal Stream program is an opportunity to hire a Candidate with temporary status in High Level that the business wouldn’t otherwise be able to hire under current Federal or Provincial Temporary Foreign programs. The Rural Renewal Stream is also an opportunity to bring newcomers into the community who will be the right fit for the required position. The Rural Renewal Stream also presents the Employer with the possibility of an Endorsed Candidate staying on with the business on a permanent basis once they’ve obtained Permanent Resident status.
- Do Employers need to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment [LMIA]?
- The Rural Renewal Stream offers Employers the opportunity to waive the LMIA for the job vacancies by requesting an Endorsement Letter from the Town of High Level. An LMIA is not required for Employers who recruit for vacant positions through this program.
- What happens if the job doesn’t work out?
- Both the Employer and Endorsed Candidate [employee] still have their rights under the Employment Standards Code. Should the Employer or Endorsed Candidate [employee] choose to conclude the employment agreement, the Employer must follow the Employer Standards Code and regulations to terminate their employment. Once employment has been terminated, it is the responsibility of the Employer to notify the Town of High Level Economic Development Officer who will then notify the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program of the change in status of the Endorsed Candidate. The Town of High Level will inform the Endorsed Candidate of the required next steps. It is not the Town of High Level’s responsibility to find new employment for Endorsed Candidates whose employment has been terminated by the Employer or Endorsed Candidate.
- As an Immigration Consultant, can I represent an Employer?
- If an Employer in High Level has hired a representative, that representative is welcome to submit the Employer Application Form on behalf of the Employer, so long as the Employer signs the application form and is copied via email when requesting acceptance into High Level’s RRS Program. If an Immigration Consultant is not representing an Employer within High Level, any RRS-related questions must be directed to the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program.
- Can the Town of High Level answer specific Immigration questions regarding applications or prospective Candidates?
- No. The best place to find information on the RRS and any updates to the program is on the Government of Alberta Rural Renewal Stream website.
- As an Endorsed Candidate, how do I get to High Level?
- Endorsed Candidates who reside outside of Canada are responsible for covering the costs of airfare to Canada. Employers are responsible for covering the costs and arranging safe transportation for Endorsed Candidates to Grande Prairie for the Welcome and Orientation Programming with the Grande Prairie Centre for Newcomers and then to High Level.
Please note: Endorsed Candidates who reside in Canada with valid temporary status may not require the Welcome and Orientation Programming from the Grande Prairie Centre for Newcomers, particularly if they have been working in Canada on a Work Permit. Endorsed Candidates can advise Employers whether this step is required.