What kinds of development do not require a permit?

A development permit is not required for the following:

  • Construction and maintenance of that part of a public utility located in, on, over or under a public roadway, public utility right-of-way or public utility lot
  • The use of a building or a part of it in connection with a federal, provincial, municipal, or school election, referendum or census
  • Routine maintenance of and repairs to a building not involving any structural changes
  • Construction of a garden shed or playhouse less than 13 square meters in floor area if the development complies with the Land Use Bylaw.
  • In a residential district, construction of an unenclosed deck to a maximum of 0.6 meters above finished grade, a patio, a fire pit, and a barbeque
  • Installation of a satellite dish antenna if the development complies with this Bylaw and it is not located in a front yard or exterior side yard and not more than 4 meters above finished grade
  • Construction of a fence less than 2 meters in height above finished grade in rear and side yards and no more than 1 meter in front yards

Show All Answers

1. What kinds of development do not require a permit?
2. When do I need a compliance certificate?
3. What do I have to consider when starting a home occupation?
4. I want to develop my basement. Is there anything I should know before I start?
5. I’m building a deck. What should I know?
6. What are the regulations for the fence building?
7. What should I know before I start building a home?
8. What fees are associated with development?