Compliments and Concerns

What is a compliment? 

A compliment is an expression of approval made by a customer about a town employee or program. Compliments will be forwarded to the appropriate Director/Supervisor who will pass it along to the employee(s) associated with the compliment.

The Town of High level encourages citizens to submit a compliment for a municipal service, staff member, program or process by submitting an email or by contacting the Town Office between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM Monday to Friday.

Compliment Submission

Please provide your comments and relevant specific details (date, time, location, service details, etc…) and indicate whether you wish your compliment to be shared and with whom.

What is a Complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction related to an issue or concern raised with a municipal program, service, or operation that is not resolved at the time the incident and for which the complainant submits their concerns to the Town.

A complaint is distinct from:

  • Request for Service: A request made to the Town regarding a specific service, or to notify the Town that a scheduled service was not provided on time. Examples include:
    1. Requesting that the Town repair a street surface
    2. Reporting a burnt out street light
    3. Notifying the Town of a missed garbage collection
    4. Alerting the Town of no water service
  • Claim to the Town: A request for compensation, if you believe the Town is legally responsible for a bodily injury or property damage you have experienced.
  • Inquiry: A general or specific request for information regarding a municipal program, service, or operation.
  • Feedback: An opinion, comment and expression of interest in a municipal program, service, or operation.
  • Suggestion: An idea submitted to the Town by a customer with the aim of improving municipal programs, services, or operations.

If you would like to submit a General inquiry you can download the General Inquiry Form HERE.

How to submit a Concern

Step 1: Speak with us

Speak with a Town of High Level staff member in the appropriate department about your concern. We want to make things right and will help try to resolve your complaint at first point of contact. Contact us at 780-926-2201 or visit the Town Office between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM Monday to Friday 

Step 2: Escalate your complaint

If you are unsatisfied with the results from speaking with us and wish to escalate your concern, a Complaint form must be submitted and will be received by the appropriate department who can action your complaint. If you do not have access to a computer, you can pick a paper copy of the complaint form up at the Town of High Level Administration Office.

Download the Complaint Form HERE .

Step 3: Contact the Alberta Ombudsman

If you are still unhappy with the results after going through Step 1 and Step 2, you may contact the Alberta Ombudsman directly for external review.

You can learn more about the Alberta Ombudsman HERE. 

Frivolous, Vexatious, and Anonymous Complaints

Anonymous, frivolous, or vexatious complaints – or complaints initiated with the intent to embarrass or harass an employee – will not be considered.

All complaints will be dealt with in a confidential manner according to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Information will be collected, used, and disclosed in accordance with the Act.

For all other inquiries, please contact us at 780-926-2201 or email